100%, Zurich, temporary
This new postdoctoral position will be created for the new for Project-Based Learning.
The Project-based Learning (PBL) center is a new center in the Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering. The new center will develop new courses and projects for bachelors and master students to build on teaching activities in which students learn by actively engaging in real-world and personally meaningful projects.
PBL is looking for talented and motivated professionals to design, develop, and deliver teaching and project-based activities.
Starting September 2020, or at a later date to be agreed upon, we are looking for talented hardware and embedded system specialist to join our interdisciplinary team.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Developing new teaching courses and project-based projects to attract bachelor and master students.
- Contributing to the development of the center as a hardware/embedded system specialist, working alongside several other students/researchers.
- Collaborating and supporting students' projects leading the hardware/embedded systems development team of the center, using an agile approach, setting up and delegating development tasks to others (i.e. other PhD students and teaching assistants).
- Integrating and testing functionalities, use cases, and user feedback.
- Participating in and contributing to team meetings and other interactions with key stakeholders.
- Involving and interacting with companies and other professors at ETH in the projects and center's activities.
- Support as postdoc the activities for funded projects from industry or national and international funding agencies.
For these responsibilities, you should:
- A Master degree and significant experience in a relevant field are required (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering), a PhD is a plus.
- Be capable of developing systems and smart systems at a hardware level.
- Significant experience and technical skills in firmware development for embedded systems.
- Familiarity with capturing data from a variety of sensors and sending signals through Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/LoRA interfaces.
- Excellent knowledge of IP protocols, interfaces, hardware subsystems and signal processing are highly desirable.
- The candidate will plan, perform and manage research projects independently, and as part of a team, and disseminate results via peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are also required.
- Experience and publication in international peer-reviewed journals are desirable.
- Adaptable and flexible to the continuous changes associated with research demands.
- We are looking for a person who will interact broadly, both within the laboratories and with other research groups, and faculty members in the department who share a spirit of interaction and collaboration.
- In our group, we value independent critical thinking and candid discussion of all aspects of science.
- Experience with Machine Learning applications with new modules and/or using training tools, especially for resource-constrained devices.
- Experience in more than one application field, i.e. networking, controls, signal processing, etc.
- Preference skills will be in the implementation of (FPGA, FPGA+Microcontrollers, parallel processors).
- Be a self-motivated and independent learner who is not afraid to develop and test novel ideas.
- Be a proactive communicator who can signal issues and commit to targets. You have at least a professional working proficiency in English.
- Having previous experience with teaching and supporting students' projects.
To further highlight your suitability, demonstrate that you:
- Have been part of collaborations between people from various (scientific) backgrounds (i.e. professor, post-doc, PhDs, industry partners, etc.).
- Can present your work and ideas in an engaging and effective way.
- You are a team player that can motivate others.
- Have knowledge of/interest in the development and planning of industrial collaborations.
- Have experience in academic writing and academic environment.
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in
science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education,
cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge
into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our
university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an
environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe,
yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to
develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Motivation letter explaining why you are the best candidate
- A list of possible 1-2 activities/projects you will propose to the students or ideas to develop project-based learning activities
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered. Questions regarding the position should be directed to (no applications).
- Technik / Elektronik
- Führerschein erforderlich?
- Auto erforderlich?
- Motivationsschreiben erforderlich?