100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The in the department of Humanities, Social and Political Sciences (D-GESS), led by , is inviting applications for a Post-doctoral researcher in Science, Technology and Society. The position is initially limited to two years, with a possibility for extension, 100% time. You will start on April 1, 2023, or by arrangement, but no later than July 1, 2023.
Research in the Ethics, Technology and Society group is on the mutual interplay of science, technology and society using frameworks and methods from Science, Technology & Society (STS), history, philosophy, anthropology, critical theory, and the arts. We privilege interpretive, qualitative methods that combine situated ethnographic detail with deep knowledge of cultural contexts and histories, ideally in a cross-national comparative perspective.
You are expected to develop your own research project that is related to one of the main research areas of the Ethics, Technology and Society research group: Ethics in technological societies; Science, technology and democracy; Development of technical cultures. You can learn more about the on the Group's website.
- Perform qualitative social science (STS) research in the above-mentioned area
- Work towards publications in recognized international journals, including co-authored papers with other group members
- (Co-)Develop and (co-)teach MA level and Bachelor level courses in the
- Contribute to writing synergistic grant applications to raise external funding
- Participate regularly in the events of the Ethics, Technology and Society research group and support the work of the group, including the organization of meetings, project maintenance, planning of project events, workshops and conferences;
Actively engage with professors, students, and researchers at the D-GESS department, ETH Zürich, and in the Swiss and international STS community.
Essential experience, skills and characteristics:
- Completed/submitted dissertation in Science, Technology and Society (STS) or a related field, e.g. History and/or Philosophy of Science and/or Technology, Geography, Law, (Qualitative) Policy Studies, Innovation Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science. Individuals with a PhD in engineering or science who have extensive training and research experience in STS are also encouraged to apply
- A distinct research profile in STS or related fields that is demonstrated through publications and/or teaching, ideally related to the Ethics, Technology and Society research areas
- Broad knowledge of the topics, theories and methods of STS
- English language proficiency
- Knowledge of co-productionist and comparative approaches in STS
- International experience
- Strong inclination to work in a team-oriented environment
- German, French, or Italian language skills
We value diversity
ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
About ETH Zürich
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- List of publications
- A short letter of motivation that describes your research profile and future goals (max 2 pages)
- A short project description of the project(s) you are interested in pursuing as a postdoc
- 1-2 writing samples (e.g. a chapter of your PhD thesis, a publication, or an article-in-progress)
- The names and contact details of up to three references. Letters of recommendation will be solicited from short-listed candidates.
- Relevant transcripts and certificates (e.g. transcripts from the graduate study; a scan of your MA and PhD degree)
Applications are due on Monday, February 6, 2023. Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered. Applications should be in English.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Margarita Boenig-Liptsin () (no applications, please).
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in
science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education,
cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge
into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our
university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an
environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe,
yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to
develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
- Technik / Elektronik
- Führerschein erforderlich?
- Auto erforderlich?
- Motivationsschreiben erforderlich?