80%-100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The group for Precision Physics at Low Energy within the Institute for Particle Physics and Astrophysics of ETH Zurich invites applications for a postdoctoral associate position to join our efforts.
We are part of the CREMA collaboration at PSI aiming at the measurement of the hyperfine splitting in muonic hydrogen (an atom formed by a muon and a proton) to investigate the proton structure and test fundamental theories such as quantum electrodynamics. The postdoctoral work will be carried out in a team formed by members of our ETH group, the Laboratory for Particle Physics at the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI), and other partners.
- Complete the ongoing development of complex laser systems formed by single-frequency high-power thin-disk lasers, optical parametric oscillators, optical parametric amplifiers in the near- and mid-infrared region and an optical multi-pass cavity. This includes wavelength referencing, calibration and laser system monitoring.
- Integration of the laser system into the larger experimental setup for the laser spectroscopy of muonic hydrogen.
- Participation in the development of laser technology with potential industrial applications such as copper welding and 3D printing.
- Participation in data taking at the PSI proton accelerator facility, and related data analysis.
- Dissemination of the results in peer-reviewed articles and at conferences.
- Participation in teaching activities at the ETH physics department.
- Supervision of undergraduate and graduate students.
- PhD degree in physics or in related fields.
- Responsible mindset and high level of flexibility.
- Ability to work in an international collaborative environment.
- Experience with laser development and/or laser spectroscopy techniques.
- Experience with optical design, mechanical design, and electronics.
- Knowledge of nonlinear optics would be an asset.
- Good command of English.
We value diversity
We offer a multidisciplinary environment spanning from fundamental research in particle and atomic physics to applied cutting-edge laser technologies. The project will allow the development of technical, organisational, team-building and educational skills. The experience gained will qualify you for careers, both, in academia and in industry.
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
About ETH Zürich
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of publications
- Names of at least two reference persons
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about our group can be found on our . Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Aldo Antognini, Tel. +41 56 310 4614 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in
science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education,
cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge
into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our
university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an
environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe,
yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to
develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
- Technik / Elektronik
- Führerschein erforderlich?
- Auto erforderlich?
- Motivationsschreiben erforderlich?