80%-100%, Lugano, permanent
The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS) develops and operates cutting-edge, high-performance computing (HPC) systems as an essential service facility for science. The centre enables world-class research through its scientific user lab, which is available to domestic and international researchers in academia, industry, and the business sector. The centre is operated by ETH Zurich and has offices in Lugano (headquarters) and Zurich.
As HPC and cloud technologies converge, supercomputing service providers like CSCS have an increased need for software-defined networking. Effectively integrating the HPC network and datacenter components necessary to deliver these services is complex and challenging engineering work.
To this end, CSCS has an open position at our office in Lugano for a junior network engineer.
As a member of the CSCS network team, you will design, implement, maintain, and document critical network systems at CSCS. There is a variety of networking equipment from Cisco, HPE, and Fortinet in production.
- Install, configure, and support CSCS network infrastructure equipment, including switches, routers, servers, and optical devices;
- Investigate and troubleshoot network incidents and related issues, including a participating in on-call service;
- Configure firewalls or other security devices to maximise network efficiency and security;
- Optimize network performance and proactively work on innovative solutions to improve network services;
- Internally collaborate with other teams in order to further develop and improve our services.
- Bachelor's or higher degree in network engineering, computer science, computer engineering, relevant technical field, or equivalent practical experience;
- Working knowledge of data-center optical and IP network operations;
- Experience with network segmentation and security operations: ACL and firewall rules management and troubleshooting;
- Experience troubleshooting problems related to networking on different systems or platforms (optical, layer-2, IPv4/IPv6, Linux servers, load balancers, etc.).
A Formal certification in networking like Cisco CCNA is welcomed.
Experience with the following is preferred, though there will be ample opportunities to learn and gain more experience with all of these skills on the job:
- Experience with Cisco data center networking and Nexus NX-OS mode switches;
- Experience with data center routing (BGP & OSPF) and VXLAN BGP/EVPN;
- Experience with network services management, performances monitoring, and systems telemetry);
- Knowledge of Kubernetes networking;
- Knowledge of network automation tools and frameworks;
- Linux administration skills.
We value diversity
In an organization that values autonomy, ownership and continuous learning, you will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through activities characterized by the challenging aspects typical of the HPC field.
- ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions.
- You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
- We value the diversity of our team and, to further enhance the diversity of our workforce, we particularly encourage women to apply.
In line with , ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
About ETH Zürich
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Motivation letter
- Relevant certificates and diplomas
To further enhance the diversity of our workforce, we particularly encourage women to apply.
We look forward to receiving your online application, including a letter of motivation, CV, diplomas, and employment certificates.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about CSCS can be found on our website, . Questions regarding the position should be directed to Mark Klein, email@example.com (no applications).
For recruitment services, the apply.
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in
science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education,
cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge
into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our
university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an
environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe,
yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to
develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
- Technik / Elektronik
- Führerschein erforderlich?
- Auto erforderlich?
- Motivationsschreiben erforderlich?