100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Chair of Circular Engineering for Architecture (CEA) at ETH Zurich is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual to fill a PhD position in the field of construction informatics for circularity in the construction sector. The successful candidate will join a dynamic research team working on innovative approaches to advance circular construction practices through digital technologies. This position offers a unique opportunity to contribute to the development of tools and strategies that promote the reuse of building materials and projects, enabling a more sustainable and regenerative built environment.
The PhD position is focused on leveraging digitalization for circular strategies in construction. The selected candidate will be involved in developing and testing tools for the identification and tracking of building materials, operating at the intersection of construction informatics, engineering, and logistical aspects.
As a PhD researcher, your responsibilities will include:
- Development of both theoretical concepts and practical tools to facilitate the identification and tracking of wood and clay in the construction sector
- Identifying the content of wood and clay IDs in the supply chain context in Switzerland, together with industry and research consortium partners
- Exploring implementation possibilities for digital IDs and how to connect them to the physical materials of clay and wood
- Validate and test proposed and developed solutions in pilot projects to assess their effectiveness and impact
- Engagement and collaboration with stakeholders such as government entities, consultants, and industry partners to promote the adoption of the developed tools and strategies
- Active participation in research activities, including publishing scientific papers and presenting findings at conferences and workshops
- Supervision of Master, and/or Bachelor students
To be considered for this position, you should meet the following qualifications:
- Masters in architecture, engineering, urban planning, housing, development studies, life cycle assessment, computer science, or related fields
- Possess strong research skills with an understanding of circular economy practices in the construction industry
- Knowledge and experience in IoT, data analysis and database management, as well as awareness and motivation to dive into emerging decentralized technologies such as blockchain and distributed data protocols
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize effectively, while also fostering interdisciplinary collaboration
- Strong communication and writing skills in English, enabling effective collaboration and the preparation of scientific publications and reports
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement. Ability to work with industry partners in German is a plus
- Ability to work in a team and together with industry partners
- Take initiative, be results-oriented, organised, and creative
We value diversity
Joining our research team offers a stimulating and collaborative environment, with a competitive salary and opportunities for professional growth and interaction with international experts in the field of circular construction and computer science. The position is full-time (100%) and is offered on a fixed-term basis. The initial contract duration is 1.5 years, with a possibility of extension based on funding availability and performance evaluation.
In line with , ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
About ETH Zürich
Applications are only accepted through the online portal and should contain the following documents (make sure your last name is on all the documents and in the file name) until the position is filled. Only PDF format will be accepted. Anything submitted in other formats will result in the rejection of your application. Any application that is not complete will not be considered.
- Cover letter (max 1 page) (LastName_Cover.pdf)
- CV including a list of publications in (LastName_CV.pdf)
- Research statement (max 800 words, excluding bibliography) (LastName_Research.pdf)
- A digital copy of Master's degree (LastName_Diploma.pdf)
- Name, phone number, and email address of three referees (LastName_Referees.pdf)
- A vimeo or youtube link to a 2-minute video explaining how you would address research on digital technologies for circular construction (please upload a PDF with the link written in full) (LastName_Video.pdf)
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further questions please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications). More information about the Circular Engineering for Architecture Lab in the Institute of Construction & Infrastructure Management (IBI) within the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering (D-BAUG) is on our . Any emails that are not addressed to email@example.com regarding the position will not be answered.
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in
science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education,
cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge
into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our
university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an
environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe,
yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to
develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
- Technik / Elektronik
- Führerschein erforderlich?
- Auto erforderlich?
- Motivationsschreiben erforderlich?