The project aims at the development and field application of a high-precision, miniaturized mid-IR spectrometer. You will leverage on our previous work for drone based methane measurement to design a multi-species, lightweight instrument that can be carried by UAVs to quantify the emissions of large ship engines off-shore and in the harbour. This involves instrumental developments in the laboratory and field campaigns, both in close collaboration with our partners Alpes Lasers, ALTUS LSA and METIS Baltic.
Job description, responsibilities and tasks
- Development of a prototype multi-species mid-IR laser spectrometer for UAV flights
- Validation, calibration, and intercomparison of the instrument
- Coordination and realization of field campaigns in the Mediterranean Sea
- Communication of the results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences
- PhD in physics or a related discipline
- Solid background in optics, laser spectroscopy, and electronics
- Experience in experimental research and field campaigns
- The ability to conduct independent scientific work
- Software skills (eg. Python, LabView, 3D CAD, Matlab, FRED)
- Fluency in English is required; oral expression skills in German are desirable
The position is available from December 2022 and will remain open until filled.
For further information about the position please contact
Dr. Lukas Emmenegger and visit our websites and
We look forward
to receiving your online application including a letter of motivation, CV, diplomas with transcripts and contact details of two referees. Please upload the requested documents through our webpage. Applications via email will not be considered.
Empa, David Heusser, Human Resources, Ueberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Dübendorf, Switzerland.
- Chemie / Pharmazie
- Führerschein erforderlich?
- Auto erforderlich?
- Motivationsschreiben erforderlich?