to work mostly on a case study of a heavy-duty road bridge, namely on measures to reduce CO2 emissions, but also on other research projects. Starting date of the position is upon agreement but preferably early in 2023.
- Formulation of requirements (to ensure structural safety, serviceability, durability, planned use, etc.) for the design of a road bridge
- Together with other experts in the project team: definition and discussion of the methods and criteria for assessing the CO2 emissions of different construction materials and construction methods
- Proposal and comparative evaluation of different structural concepts including construction materials such as timber, concrete, steel, asphalt and composite materials for the main load-bearing structure and the roadway
- Evaluation of the applicability of reused materials, reusable or digitally manufactured form-work, as well as advanced and new materials (FRP, SMA, etc.)
- Project reporting (internal), presentation of results in conferences, and publication in international peer-reviewed journals
- Support project coordination and administration
- Supervision of students in the context of bachelor and master theses in the subject area of the project
- Assistance in the formulation of applications for funding of research projects.
- Completed doctorate (PhD) in timber construction after studies at ETH Zurich, EPF Lausanne or a comparable technical university
- Bachelor's and Master's degree in civil engineering with specialization in structural design
- Knowledge in the use of structural analysis programs (e.g. RSTAB, RFEM, AxisVM, Cubus, Abaqus, etc.) and CAD software (e.g. AutoCAD, Cadwork, Inventor, Blender, etc.)
- Confident in the use of office packages (e.g. Microsoft Office, LibreOffice, LaTeX editors, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of the properties of construction materials and material composites is an advantage
- Knowledge of SIA structural standards and/or the corresponding Structural Eurocodes is an advantage
- Very good English and German language skills, both written and spoken, are essential.
You also enjoy working independently, you are able to work under pressure, you are flexible, and have a quick understanding of things. You enjoy dealing with the multicultural diversity in the scientific and technical environment and you appreciate working in an open-minded, motivated, international team. We offer you a challenging and versatile field of activity in a dynamic, nationally and internationally oriented research environment with a very well-equipped infrastructure.
For further information about the position please contact the head of the research area timber construction, Dr. René Steiger and visit our websites and
We look forward to receiving your online application including a letter of motivation, CV, diplomas with transcripts and contact details of two referees. Please upload the requested documents through our webpage. Applications via email will not be considered.
Empa, Patricia Nitzsche, Human Resources, Ueberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Dübendorf, Switzerland.
- Chemie / Pharmazie
- Führerschein erforderlich?
- Auto erforderlich?
- Motivationsschreiben erforderlich?