This project, in partnership with a Swiss high-tech company, is part of Empa's effort to bridge the gap between fundamental science and engineering applications. Specifically, in this project we will investigate the use of mechanical metamaterials for the design and production of structural elements with high stiffness, low density and good shock and vibration isolation properties over a wide range of frequencies, to protect sensitive devices from damage.
As a research engineer within this project, you will work on practical implementations of metamaterials for vibration and shock isolation. Beyond the state of the art of academic research in the field, you will have to consider the constraints and requirements imposed by real life applications and iterate with the industrial partner to find viable designs and requirements that will lead to a successful implementation of the structures. In order to achieve this goal
- You design structures based on different kind of metamaterials.
- You base your designs on the physical principles that govern dispersion in structured media.
- You model and measure prototypes to validate the numerical models.
- You interact with our industrial partner to gain better understanding of the engineering requirements set to the structures you design, and with your colleagues within the group to discuss the physical foundations of the designs you devise.
- In frequent reporting to stakeholders, varying between weekly to monthly, you will show the results that you have obtained and give a well-founded interpretation of those results. You will iterate on your work and your approach based on the feedback of your supervisors which helps you steer the direction of your research.
If you recognize yourself in the story below, then you have the profile that fits the project and the research group:
- I have a master degree in engineering, physics or mathematics, and performed above average in comparison to my peers.
- I am proficient in written and spoken English.
- During my courses or prior professional activities, I have gathered some experience with at least one of the following: principles of vibrations and acoustics, structural dynamics, numerical modelling techniques (finite element method), or experimental methods in structural dynamics. I have a profound inter-est for these topics.
- As a research engineer, I enjoy translating the physical principles that inspire my work into viable engineering design solutions and enjoy meeting the challenges set by the real life applications of the structures I design.
- I am excited to expand my scientific and technical knowledge, by searching for relevant literature and through discussions with my colleagues.
We look forward to receiving your complete online application including a letter of motivation, CV, certificates, diplomas and contact details of two reference persons. Please submit these exclusively via our job portal. Applications by e-mail and by post will not be considered.
- Chemie / Pharmazie
- Führerschein erforderlich?
- Auto erforderlich?
- Motivationsschreiben erforderlich?